Wireless Access Policy
The Union County Public Library provides wireless access as a public service. The Library may restrict access to its network through the use of a password which eligible users may obtain from the Reference Staff.
Rules of Use:
- Wireless access is provided to the public as a service free of charge on an as is basis with no guarantee and no warranty.
- Information passing through the Librarys wireless access is not secured and could be monitored, captured and altered by others.
- It is the users sole responsibility to protect his/her information from all risks associated with using the Internet, including any damage, loss, or theft that may occur as a result of the use of the Librarys wireless access.
- Library staff are not able to provide technical assistance and assume no responsibility for laptop configurations, security or changes to data files resulting from connection to the Librarys network.
- The Library assumes no responsibility for the safety of privately owned equipment; users must keep their equipment with them at all times and may only use electrical outlets at public tables and in study rooms.
- In using this free Internet access, the user agrees and hereby releases, indemnifies, and holds harmless, the Union County Public Library and it employees from any damage to his own equipment that may result from the use of this wireless access.
- Printing is currently not available via the wireless connection.
- Wireless access is available only during regular operating hours.
- Any attempt to circumvent library procedures or any unauthorized attempt to access or manipulate library equipment, will result in permanent disconnection from the Librarys wireless network.
- The Library filters all Internet access. This filter blocks those sites that violate the Federal Childrens Internet Protection Act and/or the Union County Public Librarys Acceptable Internet Use Policy. Filter Removal Requests will not be honored on computers not owned by the Library.
***Pop-Up Blockers must be disabled for WIFI use***
Wireless Access FAQs
What do I need to access the wireless network?
To access the Librarys wireless network, you need a laptop (or suitable PDA or other portable device) equipped with an 802.11 a, b, or g compatible wireless card. Some portable devices have a wireless card built in while others may require you to purchase a compatible card to plug into it. Installation of the card and its associated software will vary depending upon specific device, card and operating system.
How do I connect to the Librarys wireless network?
A username and password is required to connect to the wireless network. Users age 17 or older may obtain these credentials at the Reference Desk. By logging in, you are agreeing to abide by all policies including the Internet Acceptable Use Policy and Wireless Access Policy.
Can I print from the wireless network?
There are no printers configured on the wireless network. To print, patrons will need to transfer files to removable media (e.g. 3.5 floppy disk, flash drive, CD-r, etc.) which can be used to print from our Public Access PCs.
Can I access the librarys webpage, catalog, and electronic databases through the wireless network?
Yes, access to the library webpage, OPAC and the electronic databases is available. Our URL is www.union.lib.nc.us. The OPAC can be accessed from the library webpage or by the URL opac.union.lib.nc.us.
What if I have problems? Can Library staff assist?
Wireless access is provided as a convenience to our patrons & guests and is therefore provided as a best effort service. Library staff members are not able to provide technical assistance and assume no responsibility for laptop configurations, security or changes to data files resulting from connection to the Librarys network.